Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

From: Henrik <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
To: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Date: 2008-06-25 12:15:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
25 jun 2008 kl. 13.15 skrev Matthew Wakeling:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Henrik wrote:
>> What are your suggestions. What we are currently looking at is.
>>
>> Dual Quad Core Intel
>> 8 - 12 GB RAM
>
> More RAM would be helpful. It's not that expensive, compared to the
> rest of your system.

True, as long as I can build the system on 2G or 4G modules I can max
out the banks.

>> 10 disks total.
>>
>> 4 x 146 GB SAS disk in RAID 1+0 for database
>> 6 x 750 GB SATA disks in RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 for OS and transactions
>> logs.
>>
>> Good RAID controller with lots of memory and BBU.
>
> If you have a good RAID controller with BBU cache, then there's no
> point splitting the discs into two sets. You're only creating an
> opportunity to under-utilise the system. I'd get ten identical discs
> and put them in a single array, probably RAID 10.
OK, thats good to know. Really want to keep it as simple as possible.
Would you turn off fsync if you had a controller with BBU? =)

> Also, do you really need 6*750GB for OS and transaction logs? How
> big can they be?

Ahh, we are going to save a lot of other datafiles on those also but
maybe i'll just get a cabinett.

> However, the most important factor is that you get a good BBU cache.
Here that!

Thanks for your input!

//Henke