Re: tape backups

From: Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tape backups
Date: 2006-12-23 22:50:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the pointer. This does look like what I want, because in
retrospect I don't know how I would know which wal logs I would start
to replay after a given pg_dumpall to bring myself up to the present
after a recovery.

But, this page confuses me when it talks about pg_start_backup and
pg_stop_backup. What do these functions do? It seems like they do
nothing more than let me know which wal files were in use over the
duration of the backup, which is certainly useful. But they do NOT
seem to freeze the actual data files, and it seems to me that because
the data files won't be archived atomically while they may be
changing, that I might end up with corrupted data files that a replay
of wal files wouldn't correct. Is my fear groundless?