Re: Impact of checkpoint_segments under continual load conditions

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Impact of checkpoint_segments under continual load conditions
Date: 2005-07-18 18:32:14
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Jul 17, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> Normally, checkpoint_segments can help absorb some of that, but my
> experience is that if I crank the number up, it simply delays the
> impact, and when it occurs, it takes a VERY long time (minutes) to
> clear.

There comes a point where your only recourse is to throw hardware at
the problem.  I would suspect that getting faster disks and splitting
the checkpoint log to its own RAID partition would help you here.
Adding more RAM while you're at it always does wonders for me :-)

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806