Creating A Tablespace in PostgreSQL 8.0 for Windows

From: "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating A Tablespace in PostgreSQL 8.0 for Windows
Date: 2005-01-28 16:50:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have created a database definition (adns); now I want to create a tablespace for its data to
reside in in directory c:\ADNS. For some reason, I can't get it to work. The directory does exist
(in Windows 2003). Tried setting up the tablespace first, then the database; that didn't work
either. What am I doing wrong? I am doing this in 'psql'.

Once the tablespace does set up, will I also be able to see it in Windows Explorer as a file
under c:\ADNS ??

mydb=# create database adns with owner = postgres;
CREATE DATABASE
mydb=# \l+
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding | Description
-----------+----------+-----------+---------------------------
adns | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
mydb | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII | Default template database
(4 rows)
mydb-# \db data1
List of tablespaces
Name | Owner | Location
------+-------+----------
(0 rows)
mydb-# \c adns
Password:
You are now connected to database "adns".
adns-# create tablespace data1 location 'c:/ADNS'
adns-# \db data1+
List of tablespaces
Name | Owner | Location
(0 rows)
adns-# \db+
List of tablespaces
Name | Owner | Location | Access privileges
pg_default | postgres | |
pg_global | postgres | |
(2 rows)
adns-#