Re: Turning of case sensitivity for identifiers?

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning of case sensitivity for identifiers?
Date: 2004-07-14 09:53:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Peter,

Peter Eisentraut schreef:
> The table and column names are not actually case sensitive;
> they are just folded to lower case while you apparently expect upper case.
I am unsure of the translation of "fold". Is that the same as translate? Does that mean that if Postgresql get a query without quotes it translates the schema/column/table to lower case automatically?

> If you write the names the same way in each command, there should not be a
> problem.
I cannot see how Clarion creates the queries. I have to deduct it from a log file that does not show me the query as-is but gives a "user friendly" translation of the query, without any quotes.

> What problem are you actually seeing?
Clarion checks whether the table is valid. For that, it seems to do an ODBC SQLColumns which returns the schema/table/column name in lower case while Clarino is expecting it to be uppercase. Hence it says that the table is not valid (it seems to find the table but not the columns). On a DB2 database (that has all caps names) it works.

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl
web: www.askesis.nl