PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-06-19 20:35:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Now I am at the difficult part, what parameters to calculate and how to
calculate them. Everything below has to do with PostgreSQL version 8.2:

The parameters I would think we should calculate are:

max_connections

shared_buffers

work_mem

maintenance_work_mem

effective_cache_size

random_page_cost

Any other variables? I am open to suggestions.

Calculations based on values supplied in the questions at the top of the
page:

max_connection= question #3 or a minimum of 8

effective_cache_size={question #2}MB

maintenance_work_mem= ({question #2} * .1) MB

Any thoughts on the other variables based on the questions found at the
top of the below web page?

http://www.webservices.uiuc.edu/postgresql/

Thanks,

Lance Campbell