CPU Usage

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CPU Usage
Date: 2007-02-13 18:36:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Postgres 8.1

Linux Redhat AS 4.X

4 processor box

We have 12+ schemas in 1 database. When I do a unix "top" command I
notice one postmaster process has 100% CPU usage. This process just
stays at 100% to 99% CPU usage. There are other postmaster processes
that pop up. They use hardly no CPU or memory. They also disappear
very fast. I am wondering, is postgres only using one processor for
database queries? Is there something I need to do to tell postgres to
use more than one processor? Or does postgres only use up to one
processor for any particular database?

Thanks for your help,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect