work-mem how do I identify the proper size

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: work-mem how do I identify the proper size
Date: 2007-01-29 03:10:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
If I set work-mem at a particular amount of memory how do I answer the
following questions:

1)       How many of my queries were able to run inside the memory I
allocated for work-mem?

2)       How many of my queries had to run from disk because work-mem
was not set high enough?

3)       If a query had to go to disk in order to be sorted or completed
is there a way to identify how much memory it would have taken in order
to run the query from memory?

Thanks for all of your help,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois

217.333.0382

http://webservices.uiuc.edu

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: ArnauDate: 2007-01-29 12:21:56