Re: Battery Backed Cache for RAID

From: "Welty, Richard" <richard(dot)welty(at)bankofamerica(dot)com>
To: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Battery Backed Cache for RAID
Date: 2005-09-14 20:46:47
Lists: pgsql-performance
John A Meinel wrote:
>The recent *cheap* version of a ramdisk had battery backup for 16 hours.
>(Very expensive ramdisks actually have enough battery power to power a
>small hard-drive to dump the contents into).

>I'm guessing for a RAID controller, the time would be in the max 1 day
>range.

i think some will go a bit longer. i have seen an IBM ServeRaid (rebranded
mylex in this particular case) keep its memory after being pulled for a
remarkably long period of time.

no guarantees, though, so i'm not actually going to say how long so that nobody
gets unreasonable expectations.

richard

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Arjen van der MeijdenDate: 2005-09-14 20:47:35
Previous:From: John A MeinelDate: 2005-09-14 20:40:25