Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: Beginner's Question: No pg_hba.conf entry for host...SSL Off

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Jeanna Geier <jgeier(at)apt-cafm(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginner's Question: No pg_hba.conf entry for host...SSL Off
Date: 2006-09-26 19:11:39
Message-ID: A1FB0050-A19C-45A5-96B6-4FAD71FBEC32@fastcrypt.com (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Jeanna,

Uncomment the host line with 127.0.0.1 and restart the server, then  
the code below should work.

Dave
On 26-Sep-06, at 2:57 PM, Jeanna Geier wrote:

> Hello-  Sorry to re-post this, but I'm sort of stuck on this one  
> and can't move forward until I get it resolved....  I've been  
> googling some more and looking on some Java sites and trying out  
> some different things with no luck.  If anyone could offer me some  
> assistance on this one, I would be greatly appreciative.
>
> We're using Postgres 8.0.8 and Java JDK 1.5.0_06 on Windows...
>
> If you need to know anything else, please let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Jeanna
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Jeanna Geier
> To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:43 AM
> Subject: [JDBC] Beginner's Question: No pg_hba.conf entry for  
> host...SSL Off
>
>
> Hi All-
>
> I am hoping for some help on this one... we are in the process of  
> implementing our program with SSL enabled on the Postgres side of  
> things. I can start and connect to the database from the command  
> line ok using my current configuration:
>
>    C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\bin>psql -d apt -U postgres
>    Welcome to psql 8.0.8, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
>    Type: \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
>    SSL connection (cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256)
>
>    Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page  
> (1252)
>        8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference
>        page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
>
>    apt=#
>
> However, when I try to run our application to and connect to the  
> database, I am receiving the following error: Connection rejected:  
> FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "127.0.0.1", user "postgres",  
> database "apt", SSL off.
>
> Here is my pg_hba.conf file:
>
>    # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
>    # IPv4 local connections:
>    #host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
>    # IPv6 local connections:
>    hostssl all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
>
> I know I need to add some code to enable the SSL connection but am  
> not exactly sure how to go about this and what I've tried thus far  
> hasn't worked... Below is an excerpt of our connection code:
>
> public class DatabaseConnection {
> private static String DB_IP;
>
> private static final String DB_PORT = "5432";
> private static String DB_CATALOG = "apt";
> private static final String DB_USER = "postgres";
> private static final String DB_PASSWORD = "XXXX";
>
> public static void initIPAddress(String address){
> DB_IP = address;
> }
>
> public static void initCatalog(String catalog){
> DB_CATALOG = catalog;
> }
>
> public static Connection initialize() throws SQLException
> {
> final Connection connection;
> Properties prop = new Properties();
> String url;
>
> try{
> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>
> //url = "jdbc:postgresql://64.34.162.40:5432/apt";
> url = "jdbc:postgresql://" + DB_IP + ":" + DB_PORT + "/" +
> DB_CATALOG;
>
> //prop.setProperty("user","postgres");
> //prop.setProperty("password", "XXXX");
> prop.setProperty("user", DB_USER);
> prop.setProperty("password", DB_PASSWORD);
>
> connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, prop);
> connection.setTransactionIsolation 
> (Connection.TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED);
>
> if(connection == null){
> throw new Exception();
> }
>
> Thread maintainConn = new Thread(new Runnable(){
> public void run(){
> while(connection != null){
> try{
> maintainConnection(connection);
> //10 minutes
> Thread.sleep(600000);
> }
> catch(InterruptedException ie){}
> }
> }
> });
> maintainConn.setDaemon(true);
> maintainConn.start();
> }
> catch(ClassNotFoundException cnf){
> throw new SQLException(cnf.getMessage());
> }
> catch(Exception e){
> throw new SQLException(e.getMessage());
> }
>
> return connection;
> }
>
>
> I've tried the following with the 'prop.setProperty("ssl","true)  
> parameter - added:
>
> private static final String DB_SSL_STATUS = "true";
> &
> prop.setProperty("ssl", DB_SSL_STATUS);
>
> ...
> public class DatabaseConnection {
> private static String DB_IP;
>
> private static final String DB_PORT = "5432";
> private static String DB_CATALOG = "apt";
> private static final String DB_USER = "postgres";
> private static final String DB_PASSWORD = "XXXX";
> private static final String DB_SSL_STATUS = "true";
>
> public static void initIPAddress(String address){
> DB_IP = address;
> }
>
> public static void initCatalog(String catalog){
> DB_CATALOG = catalog;
> public static Connection initialize() throws SQLException
> {
> final Connection connection;
> Properties prop = new Properties();
> String url;
>
> try{
> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>
> //url = "jdbc:postgresql://64.34.162.40:5432/apt";
> url = "jdbc:postgresql://" + DB_IP + ":" + DB_PORT + "/" +
> DB_CATALOG;
>
> //prop.setProperty("user","postgres");
> //prop.setProperty("password", "XXXX");
> //prop.setProperty("ssl", "true");
> prop.setProperty("user", DB_USER);
> prop.setProperty("password", DB_PASSWORD);
> prop.setProperty("ssl", DB_SSL_STATUS);
>
> connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, prop);
> connection.setTransactionIsolation 
> (Connection.TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED);
>
> if(connection == null){
> throw new Exception();
> }
>
> Thread maintainConn = new Thread(new Runnable(){
> public void run(){
> while(connection != null){
> try{
> maintainConnection(connection);
> //10 minutes
> Thread.sleep(600000);
> }
> catch(InterruptedException ie){}
> }
> }
> });
> maintainConn.setDaemon(true);
> maintainConn.start();
> }
> catch(ClassNotFoundException cnf){
> throw new SQLException(cnf.getMessage());
> }
> catch(Exception e){
> throw new SQLException(e.getMessage());
> }
>
> return connection;
> }
>
>
> However, when I do that, it's throwing an exception from:  
> connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, prop);
> and I'm getting an error message that says: "The connection attempt  
> failed."
>
> Any ideas from Java experts would be greatly appreciated! This is  
> something I need to get resolved rather quickly...
>
> Thanks much!!
> -Jeanna
>
> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>


In response to

Responses

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Kris JurkaDate: 2006-09-26 19:23:43
Subject: Re: Beginner's Question: No pg_hba.conf entry for host...SSL
Previous:From: Jeanna GeierDate: 2006-09-26 18:57:56
Subject: Re: Beginner's Question: No pg_hba.conf entry for host...SSL Off

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group