Re: Mirror how-to?

From: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Mirror how-to?
Date: 2004-02-19 08:43:03
Lists: pgsql-www
On Feb 19, 2004, at 9:28 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> The final version is online now at
> http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-howto.html. Feel free to publish it,
> but I must admit to starting to think that maybe we have enough mirrors
> now - as I type there are 77 ftp mirrors and 49 web mirrors that are
> active, and a lot more that are currently offline for whatever reason.
> That's starting to be a lot of bandwidth just to keep them sync'ed up
> and we know from a previous stats exercise that some of them get very
> few hits.

Hi Dave,
just thinking lout, but on php.net they do limit 2 mirrors per country
(4 for USA as the only exception I think).
They do that for bandwidth purposes.

Furthermore, the php webmasters have a script to monitor when a mirror
goes down. If the downtime is over 1-2 days they
will remove it from the list and email the mirror owner.

In your case they get automagically deleted from the live list (as far
as I understand) which is a good thingĀ®
I might suggest that we email (I can help you with this, if needed) the
offline mirrors.

I can also have the switch.ch Sunsite to mirror postgresql. This might
come handy because, as far as I can see,
you do not have a mirror in Switzerland. (Nothing urgent thou..)

Eventually there could be an "official rule" to limit the number of
mirrors in a said country.

For the hits, I think that the general server load will be properly
distributed when we will adopt the ip-2-country redirection. It would
also be nice if the mirrors will keep at least one link
pointing to the mirror site in their own website (as we do on dotgeek).
This will also help as a sort of promotion.

ta muchly
David Costa