Re: BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version

From: Nelson Manuel Marques <nelson-m-marques(at)ext(dot)ptinovacao(dot)pt>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org" <pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version
Date: 2011-12-24 16:16:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom,

You are right, my apologies for rushing in with innacurate information. There is no problem with Red Hat's RPM's, in fact we decided to repackage PostgreSQL for our needs based on the current work by Red Hat and Fedora (spec file / integration), though with a few minor changes.

The main problem was that the 'PGDG' RPMS have a "Provides: postgresql" without a version. For what I've seen this suggests they are using the 'alternatives' methodology (somehow popular with JAVA), which we don't sympathize. I guess it's the beaty of free software, if you don't like, we can always work it out our own way.

I should've digged up more information before filing this report.

Thanks for your great work with PostgreSQL and Fedora/RH packaging.

BR,
NM

Melhores cumprimentos,
Nelson M. Marques