Installation on Windows XP Home not possible

From: "Stephen P(dot) Christopher" <Stephen_Christopher(at)metricvision(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installation on Windows XP Home not possible
Date: 2005-03-28 03:15:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

After several frustrating hours (all weekend in fact) of trying
unsuccessfully to install and run Postgres (version 8.01 binary windows
installer from the Postgres ftp site), I have learned that it is not
possible, primarily because Micro$oft, in it's infinite wisdom, has
disabled all sorts of tools that would otherwise let me adjust user
permissions as Postgres requires.

I think it would be extremely prudent and valuable for the Postgres team
to note this somewhere, as I haven't been able to find anything at all
about it anywhere. Right in the readme for the windows binary download
would be a perfect place. I was finally able to install it on a windows
2000 machine (it took me all of 10 minutes - oh that I would have tried
that sooner instead of stubbornly thinking I could trick XP into letting
me do what I wanted....). This was not the wonderful introduction to
Postgres I was hoping for, but we'll see where I can get from here.

Also of note: I have created several databases in Access, and am sick of
being limited and ending up with buggy applications. Also, I have tried
PgAccess, but have had no success in getting past the splash screeen.
Interestingly, though, on my windows XP (where I can NOT run Postgres),
PgAccess runs like a charm. :( Oh well. If anyone has advice, it
would be much appreciated!

Peace,
Step