Re: Row Lock

From: Andreas Prohaska <ap(at)apeiron(dot)de>
To: 'Alessandro Polverini' <polverini(at)nibbles(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row Lock
Date: 2003-10-07 14:27:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I don't think that there is something similar in postgres. You would have
to do this on your own, using an "int" or "postgres timestamp". What I
meant was something like:

1. Read the row from the database together with the optimistic
control
column (occ). Let's assume it's an int with a current value of 1.

2. Remember this value (1) and let the user edit the record.

3. Now before writing the changes of the user into the database:

3.a SELECT the row FOR UPDATE and compare the current value
of the occ with the value you remembered. If they are
not equal -> rollback, otherwise ...

3.b increment the value of the occ to 2

3.c UPDATE the record (releasing the update lock)

As Dave Cramer suggested you may also use a timestamp with a
trigger to do this automatically. Although I don't know if there
wouldn't be a theoretical possibility that someone updates the
record again before the trigger runs (I really don't know!).