Future of Table Partitioning

From: "Patrick Carriere" <patrick(dot)carriere(at)nexustelecom(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Future of Table Partitioning
Date: 2006-02-16 17:03:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

I was wondering what the plan is for the future of table partitioning in
PostgresQL. It is pretty hard for me to implement partitioning right now
with its current limitation, specifically the fact that unique
constraints cannot be enforced across partitions and that Constraint
Exclusion cannot be used on non-constant values like CURRENT_DATE. It is
also quite cumbersome to do all the maintenance work to create the new
child table, do the triggers, drop the old one, etc,etc using the table
inheritance every week since I would need to do weekly and monthly table
partitioning.

So, my question in short, Is there any plan to at least do Global unique
check constraints (or at least a global unique index) and is there a
thread/documentation somewhere about what are the future planned changes
to table partitioning?

Thanks

Patrick Carriere
Software Architect
Nexus Telecom (Americas)

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Adam AlkinsDate: 2006-02-16 17:03:29