December meeting: 12/19/06

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chrisking(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: December meeting: 12/19/06
Date: 2006-12-14 15:46:36
Lists: pdxpug
Topics: 	Gabrielle's new database design; and EXPLAIN
Who:	Gabrielle Roth, XO communications; Selena Deckelmann, Chris King
Precision Components
When: 	Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Where: 	FreeGeek, 1731 SE 10th Ave

Gabrielle has been working on a new database and will lead us through
the trials and tribulations of the application she developed and
maintains.  This recently involved a full schema-rewrite and you will
delight in learning the reasons why.

I have been reading up on EXPLAIN.  I think this talk will be mostly
of a whirlwind tour through what the planner does when executing a
query, drawn from the Performance chapter in the Douglas book. I will
focus on the practical implications for structuring some simple
queries and try to draw on a number of sources.

pdxpug by date