Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 03:10:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The other point, especially about Win32, is to see if we can
> spread the load a bit. Perhaps Claudio, Magnus, Merlin and Bruce
> should start trying to farm out specific tasks.

Here are the tasks, off the Win32 page, I see as necessary to drop in:

* Handle sync() by opening all file opened since the last fsync and
fsync'ing those
- Tom's got this one, as is the most crucial outstanding part

* changes to replace PGBINDIR, PGDATADIR (as per PKGLIBDIR)
- I'm waiting for a reply from Tom/Peter for suggestions, as
objectors to a previous patch

* locatime under Win32 with pre-1970 dates
- Magnus has submitted; Bruce will commit any time now

* Win32 installer
- I believe Magnus already has something in this regard

* Win32 service
- Rony offered to do this, but have not heard back. Not a major
item, and I've already got an implementation from my previous port.

* Fix problem were locale doesn't match host locale, requires passing more
params to startup applications
- SMOP

All other issues are nicities or fixups, IMHO. There really isn't anything
that needs farming out, just a matter of having the pieces fall into place.

> I for one will be very upset if it misses this release.

If I have anything to do with it, this won't happen. I'll do whatever I can
to make the release.

That's my 2c. I don't see anything that can't make a June 1 deadline
(assuming we are expected to keep to it! :-)... the only unknown for me is
the sync/fsync code Tom is doing, only as I have no idea where he is up to.
I've been AWOL for a month, but will again start actively contributing, but
as things stand there isn't a great deal left to do to take Win32 to beta.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a