Re: win32 binaries

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Jeff Eckermann' <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 binaries
Date: 2004-04-23 14:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> But I would be prepared to put money on the
> probability of someone putting a snapshot binary into
> production somewhere. I suggest that the download
> page have prominently displayed severe warnings about
> the advisability of using unstable versions for
> production.

I agree; the last thing we want is for negative experiences with the win32
port out in the wild, before it is even officially released.

That said though, I think the port is sufficiently stable that there is a
lot of value in providing interim testing versions, for people who should be
savvy enough to use it wisely, and continuing this whilst we wait for other
parts of 7.5 to come together.

Perhaps we should wait until we have service integration and an installer?
Though I don't think either bit is that far off, so good to start thinking
about this now.

My 2c,
Claudio

---