Re: APC/socket fix (final?)

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane ' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "''''pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org' ' ' '" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: APC/socket fix (final?)
Date: 2004-03-26 01:29:14
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Ugh. Is there a way we can insert a wrapper layer without modifying the
> call sites? I'm thinking of some kind of macro hack, say
> [snip]

Sure. Think we've even done this before (also, prevents developers needing
to remember to use pg_*).

The reason I think it was avoided for select(), in preference for a thread
to invoke the socket op during the signal/APC, was a fear that perhaps the
Windows Sockets internals could get mashed. AFAICS, the discussion Magnus
had with the Microsoft guys (and, from memory, those I've had with Magnus
off-list) suggests this isn't true. If mashing the internals is still a
possibility, then clearly the patch I've submitted might do more harm than
good.

(Magnus, can you confirm?)

If so, I'll submit a patch for select/recv/send over the weekend, which will
also remove the recent fixes for pgstat.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a