Re: shutdown problems on win32

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Barry Lind' <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shutdown problems on win32
Date: 2004-03-17 06:04:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> The problem I reported was that I am having difficultly shutting down
> the postmaster in the current win32 code base.  I start the postmaster
> in a windows console and then am using ctrl-C to shut it down (is there
> [snip]
>
> 8) postmaster finally shutsdown

This is most definitely due to the pgstat select/APC bug. See
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/2004-03/msg00041.php
or
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-03/msg00246.php

With CVS sources I can reproduce the described behaviour. With a local patch
for the above bug, the problem goes away.

> Here is what I have noticed that is strange:  when the  postmaster starts
> up I see three processes (the one postmaster process and two postgres
> processes (stats collector processes I assume) which seems completely
> normal.  However when I connect via psql I now see 5 processes, the one
> postmaster and four postgres processes.  Whereas on linux I
> only see 4  (1 + 3).  Then when I exit psql only one of the two extra
> processes goes away.

That is strange. I've got it too. Looks like the extra process is the
BackgroundWriter, and it is looping forever in BufferBackgroundWriter. I'll
look into it.

> linux.  Is this expected behavior?  Could this be contributing to my
shutdown
> problems?

No, on both counts.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Claudio NatoliDate: 2004-03-17 06:17:09
Previous:From: Barry LindDate: 2004-03-17 05:42:44
Subject: shutdown problems on win32