Re: win32 open patch for held unlink

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 open patch for held unlink
Date: 2004-03-16 03:17:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

> Claudio, how does this handle renames if the file is open by someone
> else? Does this remove the need to loop over the rename?

To be honest, I don't know that it does. [Will report back later.]

Two points though:

a) This could doesn't alleviate the needs for dirmod.c, as far as I'm aware.
That seems to be there for a different reason, namely that there appears to
be some timing issue between creating a file and issuing an unlink/rename.

b) Do we have a case where rename's can block because of the file being held
open by another process? I haven't tripped over this yet...

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a