Re: What's left?

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Merlin Moncure' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What's left?
Date: 2004-01-22 22:57:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> I would like very much to help any way possible in solving any last
> remaining issues. Once the CVS sources are compliable, it will be
> easier to make meaningful contributions. I'm really looking
> forward to testing and benchmarking the win32 port. A big thanks
> to all who continue to work so hard on this project.

To answer the question, "what's left?"

There is one patch I've submitted waiting for application (12/01/04), and
I've got another patch almost ready (adds some missing functions, and fixes
busted Makefiles etc) that, with Magnus's signal code, will give us a
compilable, runnable, and somewhat buggy Win32 port.

It will then be a matter of fixing things like:
* installation directory issues (/usr/local/pgsql/bin won't work too well
outside of the MingW environment :-)
* general directory handling (ie. whitespaces in directory names;
forward/backslash path canonicalization)
* sync issues
* any missing structs/items in shared memory
* generally, running the test suite, and fixing whatever is busted (I'm at
41 tests passing now :-)

I'm imagining we'll be in a position to be able to start on the above in as
little as 2 weeks...

Cheers,
Claudio

---