Re: [HACKERS] Current Win32 port status

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Magnus Hagander' <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current Win32 port status
Date: 2003-12-22 22:46:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > So, we need to replace the select'ing mechanism under Win32
> > (yech), or write a Win32 pipe() replacement that returns two
> > socket endpoints (good enough for our purposes), or
> something else...
>
> I think you want to be investigating
> WSAEventSelect() and then WaitForMultipleObjectsEx().

As Andrew Dunstan has more or less already stated, I'd rather mimic the Unix
paradigm (with, say, a pair of socket endpoints), or rejig the existing
code-base, than to solve this with Win32 API calls.

[FWIW, I wrote a kludgy replacement for pipe() under Win32 that did just
that (ie. connected and returned a pair of sockets). Not a line of the
existing code required changing...]

Cheers,
Claudio

---