Re: fork/exec

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec
Date: 2003-11-30 13:11:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Oh, good. I couldn't remember if it was the postmaster or child that
> validates that key. I now remember only the postmaster needs
> the secret because it sends the signal. Not sure what random seed Claudio
was
> asking about. Probably GUC's "seed" parameter --- Claudio, that is
> already covered in that GUC binary file I create that I
> mentioned in an earlier email.

Ah. I was only talking about the random "seed" insofar as it is one of a
number of things that are done inside BackendFork (ie. which currently occur
in between the fork call, and the call to PostgresMain).

Specifically, ISTM that, working on the assumption that the future exec call
will "replace" the existing call to PostgresMain, then in order to get the
fork/exec model in the best shape for porting to Win32 the code which
currently falls betweens fork/BackendFork + exec needs to be minimalized as
far as possible. It was this reasoning that prompted the second
point/question at the start of this thread...

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a