Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake '" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"'pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org '" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread
Date: 2003-11-13 23:27:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> 1. Are we just a bunch of Unix coders trying to develop
> a product for Win32 or are there any people a part of the Win32
> port project that actually have REAL, hardcore experience
> coding at the system level for Win32?

[yells "yes" from the back rows]

> 2. Have we built a test case? For example:
> [snip]
>  Do it with CreateProcess and the with CreateThread... Time the
> difference, and review the load on the server during the tests...

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments made previously by Steve Tibbett.

There is no point becoming fixated on the performance merits of
CreateProcess vs CreateThread until we have a working Win32 port, and the
most direct way to that end is CreateProcess. To wit, any comments I have
made previously on the relative benefits of using CreateProcess vs
CreateThread have been focused on "getting the port done", not "best
performance".

Cheers,
Claudio
---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Marsh RayDate: 2003-11-14 01:58:24