Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-09 23:26:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> I'm trying to understand this. Is it that the existing code references
> static data in so many places that it impractical to move all
> that into a structures?

More like "unjustifiable for a single port" than impractical.

> You could put a structure high up on the stack of each thread and pass
> down a pointer to it, or use a hash on thread id to reference
> the data.

The second approach is more or less what I'm doing myself on a private port.
However, the code for this simply would not integrate cleanly with the
existing source base. What would is use of the __declspec(thread) directive,
which could be macro'd into the definition of each global var under Win32.
This, with some other related changes, would bring a Win32 multi-threaded
port into existence in short order, however is not (yet) supported under the
MingW environment.

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Subject: Re: WIN32_DEV CVS branch