Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake '" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,'pgsql-hackers-win32 ' <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-07 06:29:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hello there,

>  I have arranged to have 1 full time dedicated programmer to the Win32
port.

That's fantastic. I've been trying to arrange the same thing at my
company...

>  Specifically, I believe and through conversations with several Win32
programmers I know, that using create process is a bad idea and that we
should move to a threaded model (at least for Win32).

CreateProcess appears to be the method the core developers have decided
upon. Unfortunately, and speaking from experience, unless either the
decision to use MingW as a build environment is reviewed (as opposed to
VC++, for instance), or MingW "soon" supports thread local storage
declspecs, a threaded implementation would be just too difficult to
integrate cleanly with the existing source base.

> Is there a development plan for the Win32 version that I perhaps haven't
seen or are we just kind of hacking it as we go along?

I'll let someone with cred answer this officially.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a