From: Kevin Brown <Kevin(dot)M(dot)Brown(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hello...
Date: 2001-06-05 15:39:11
Lists: pgsql-admin
I've got a small problem and thought someone here might be able to help
solve it.  Recently I upgraded one of the linux servers with PostgreSQL v7.1
from v7.0.3 to get support for OUTER JOINS amongst other things for a
project here at work (running a Snort NIDS logging to an SQL server).

My current setup:

Quad PII 450
RH Linux 6.2, Kernel 2.2.16 (SMP enabled)

Under v7.0.3, if I ran multiple queries on this box they would each run on a
different processor and wouldn't impact on each others performance until I
ran more queries than CPUs.  Now when I run queries they all stay on one
processor and cause the queries to take longer by fighting for resources.

I start psql with the init script that came with the RPM (binary install
gotten from postgresql mirror):
	su -l postgres -c "LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -o '-i -F' -p
/usr/bin/postmaster start >/dev/null 2>&1" < /dev/null

Is there some configuration option I need to setup to get it to work with
all 4 cpus?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer by
searching the lists or reading through the docs.

Begin Geek Code;

pgsql-admin by date