Re: PG on Suse

From: Jean-Michel Chabanne <jeanmichel(dot)chabanne(at)free(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG on Suse
Date: 2001-10-18 20:47:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
Fabio Serra wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm not a Linux Guru and I'm trying to install PG 7.1.3 on Suse 7.2.
> Unfortunately SuSe  has not prepared a packet yet and the last Suse
> version is 7.0.3.
> In any case, I have some questions to do a good job.
>
> 1) Is it better to install from source or from SRPM ?

Why a SRPM when one can get a tarball on an PostgreSQL mirror site?

> 2) Where have I to put the binaries and data ?
> I know the default are: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/  and /usr/local/pgsql/data/
> but SUSE use  /usr/bin/  and /var/lib/pgsql/data.

With a source tarball, you may put binaries and data where you want. On my
Linux box, running SuSE 7.2 with PostgreSQL 7.1.3, I put PostgreSQL in
/usr/local/pgsql, and data in /data/pgsql. /data is a big partition with
only data for several packages. But you can choose to install binaries an
data in a same directory of your choice.

> 3) Can I make a simple ./configure or is better to use any command line
> options?

To know all available options : ./configure -help | less
To compile, I used : ./configure --enable-locale --enable-odbc --with-CXX
--with-gnu-ld --enable-syslog
but it is only an example;

> 4) To start postgres at system startup can I mantain the postgres Suse
> script for the 7.0.3. version or I have to make a script by myself?
> 5) If now I install PG from source, do I need to reinstall PG when Suse
> releases the upgrade ?

If PostgreSQL is not installed from a SuSE RPM, an upgrade will not change
a source installation.