VACUUMing a live site OK?

From: "Shuzo Kubo" <gardenweasel(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: VACUUMing a live site OK?
Date: 2001-10-18 16:20:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I have a web application using PostgreSQL 7.1.3 with a table that
experiences alot of UPDATEs. I shouldn't be updating the data so much to
start off with but can no longer avoid the situation.

I would like to vacuum a table (1 table only) to maintain an acceptable
performance. Is it safe to vacuum a table when users are attempting to
SELECT from or UPDATE to it? I would imagine that the table would get locked
and there should be no problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

pgsql-admin by date