Re: pgstattuple, vacuum and free_space

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Colton Smith <smith(at)skio(dot)peachnet(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgstattuple, vacuum and free_space
Date: 2005-11-26 10:39:22
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 11/24/05, Colton Smith <smith(at)skio(dot)peachnet(dot)edu> wrote:

> My question: when you vacuum a table and generate 'free_space', who is
> allowed to consume this 'free_space'? Is it released to the OS for
> general use? Or is it reserved just for the database? If the latter, is
> it reserved just for 'wind' (in this case)?

as far as i know this space is mapped as free witinh data-files of table
"wind".
thus effectivelyu - your OS doesnt get more free space, nor is (generally
speaking) the database.
benefit of this "free space" is that next inserts to wind table will fit
inside of this free space - thus stopping bloat of datafiles of this table.

if you would like to reclaim the disk-space, you should consider using
vacuum full.

depesz