Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE

From: Brian Ceccarelli <bceccarelli(at)net32(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE
Date: 2010-08-11 20:47:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

1. Basically, I was assuming that "STABLE" was more than just a optimizer "hint".

2. Is it not better to evaluate a STABLE function once, and pass the returned constant to a function, than pass the function itself and inline it? Is not passing a constant more efficient than even an inline query?

Please show me an example where an inline query gets a performance boost.

Thanks!