Unable to connect using PSQL - fails to prompt for a password

From: "Eric Comeau" <eric(dot)comeau(at)signiant(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to connect using PSQL - fails to prompt for a password
Date: 2004-09-08 15:29:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Using "psql", my problem is after my initial connection, the psql utility
no longer prompts for a password and fails to log in. The initial attempt
successfully prompted for the password and connected to the database. This
has occurred on two different installations.

I downloaded the Pginstaller beta release and installed PostgreSQL fine on my
Windows 2000 workstation sp4 desktop. Using the pgAdmin III
GUI and I can successfully create users and databases.

psql -U postgres ecomeau
psql: FATAL:  Password authentication failed for user "postgres"

psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 8.0.0beta1

I have tried changing the pg_hba.conf to "trust" for local connections but this had no effect.

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Laurent BallesterDate: 2004-09-08 17:39:45