PGAdmin will not connect

From: "Jeff Cave" <jeff(dot)cave(at)sunergon(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PGAdmin will not connect
Date: 2004-03-06 03:24:31
Lists: pgadmin-support
I feel a little stupid because I know this is the exact same problem I had on my windows box. The problem is, I don't know how I fixed it and I can't find the conversation in the archives.

Hopefully someone here can help me (again).

I have postgreSQL up and running on my slackware linux box. I have pgAdmin III up and running on that same box. I cannot get the two of them talking to one another.

I can work on the databases through psql, but when I attempt to connect using pgAdmin, I get an error:

--- SNIP ---
An error has occured:

Error coknnecting to the server: coun not connect to server:
Connection refused
  Is the server running on host "" and accepting
  TCP/IP connections on port 5423?
--- SNIP ---

I know that on my windows box, it was a problem with the pg_hba.conf. There was a problem with the configuration there, so I copied the windows pg_hba.conf over to my linux box. No change. Grr...

I also tried starting the server with the -i option (which wasn't there originally). That didn't seem to help.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong, let me know. I'm willing to start from scratch if I have to...

--- pg_hba.conf ---
host    all         all   trust

local   all         all                                             trust
host    all         all       trust
host    all         all           trust
host    all         all           trust
host    all         all   trust