Re: Hardware advice

From: "Roman Fail" <rfail(at)posportal(dot)com>
To: "Adam Witney" <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "Adam Witney" <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware advice
Date: 2003-05-30 17:59:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Based on what you've said, I would guess you are considering the Dell PowerEdge 2650 since it has 5 drive bays. If you could afford the rackspace and just a bit more money, I'd get the tower configuration 2600 with 6 drive bays (and rack rails if needed - Dell even gives you a special rackmount faceplate if you order a tower with rack rails). This would allow you to have this configuration, which I think would be about ideal for the price range you are looking at:

* Linux kernel RAID
* Dual processors - better than a single faster processor, especially with concurrent user load and software RAID on top of that
* 2x36GB in RAID-1 (for OS and WAL)
* 4x146GB in RAID-10 (for data) (alternative: 4-disk RAID-5)

The RAID-10 array gives you the same amount of space you would have with a 3-disk RAID-5 and improved fault tolerance. Although I'm pretty sure your drives won't be hot-swappable with the software RAID - I've never actually had to do it.

I can't say I like Scott's idea much because the WAL and OS are competing for disk time with the data since they are on the same physical disk. In a database that is mainly reads with few writes, this wouldn't be such a problem though.

Just my inexpert opinion,

Roman