Re: [Proposal] Table partition + join pushdown

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Taiki Kondo <tai-kondo(at)yk(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Akio Iwaasa <aki-iwaasa(at)vt(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table partition + join pushdown
Date: 2015-08-18 08:47:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Kondo-san,

I briefly checked your patch. Let me put some comments about
its design and implementation, even though I have no arguments
towards its concept. :-)

* Construction of RelOptInfo

In your patch, try_hashjoin_pushdown() called by try_hashjoin_path()
constructs RelOptInfo of the join-rel between inner-rel and a subpath
of Append node. It is entirely wrong implementation.

I can understand we (may) have no RelOptInfo for the joinrel between
tbl_child_0 and other_table, when planner investigates a joinpath to
process join Append path with the other_table.

> HashJoin
> -> Append
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_0
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_1
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_2
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_3
> -> Hash
> -> SeqScan on other_table

How about these alternatives?

- calls make_join_rel() to the pair of tbl_child_X and other_table
by try_hashjoin_pushdown() or somewhere. make_join_rel() internally
construct a RelOptInfo for the supplied pair of relations, so
relevant RelOptInfo shall be properly constructed.
- make_join_rel() also calls add_paths_to_joinrel() towards all the
join logic, so it makes easier to support to push down other join
logic including nested-loop or custom-join.
- It may be an idea to add an extra argument to make_join_rel() to
inform expressions to be applied for tuple filtering on
construction of inner hash table.

* Why only SeqScan is supported

I think it is the role of Hash-node to filter out inner tuples
obviously unrelated to the join (if CHECK constraint of outer relation
gives information), because this join-pushdown may be able to support
multi-stacked pushdown.

For example, if planner considers a path to join this Append-path
with another relation, and join clause contains a reference to X?

> Append
> -> HashJoin
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_0
> -> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 0
> -> SeqScan on other_table
> -> HashJoin
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_1
> -> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 1
> -> SeqScan on other_table
> -> HashJoin
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_2
> -> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 2
> -> SeqScan on other_table
> -> HashJoin
> -> SeqScan on tbl_child_3
> -> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 3
> -> SeqScan on other_table

It may be a good challenge to consider additional join pushdown,
even if subpaths of Append are HashJoin, not SeqScan, like:

Append
-> HashJoin
-> HashJoin
-> SeqScan on tbl_child_0
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 0
-> SeqScan on other_table
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 0
-> SeqScan on another_table
-> HashJoin
-> HashJoin
-> SeqScan on tbl_child_1
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 1
-> SeqScan on other_table
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 1
-> SeqScan on another_table
-> HashJoin
-> HashJoin
-> SeqScan on tbl_child_2
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 2
-> SeqScan on other_table
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 2
-> SeqScan on another_table
-> HashJoin
-> HashJoin
-> SeqScan on tbl_child_3
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 3
-> SeqScan on other_table
-> Hash ... Filter: hash_func(X) % 4 = 3
-> SeqScan on another_table

In this case, underlying nodes are not always SeqScan. So, only
Hash-node can have filter clauses.

* Way to handle expression nodes

All this patch supported is CHECK() constraint with equal operation
on INT4 data type. You can learn various useful infrastructure of
PostgreSQL. For example, ...
- expression_tree_mutator() is useful to make a copy of expression
node with small modification
- pull_varnos() is useful to check which relations are referenced
by the expression node.
- RestrictInfo->can_join is useful to check whether the clause is
binary operator, or not.

Anyway, reuse of existing infrastructure is the best way to make
a reliable infrastructure and to keep the implementation simple.

Thanks,