Re: CVS HEAD compile warning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD compile warning
Date: 2004-02-26 07:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Hmm, maybe the change is that "-s" is now enabled by default.

Right. I inserted "%option nodefault" into pgc.l (and all our other
flex source files) a day or two ago, after realizing that it is a very
effective tool for catching missed cases in a set of lex rules.

I knew at the time that ecpg was the only one of our lexers in which
echo-to-stdout could conceivably be a reasonable default rule. But
since flex 2.5.4 did not complain, I went ahead and committed the
addition in ecpg as well as everyplace else.

At this point I think our first question is whether flex 2.5.31 is
correctly detecting a hole in the ecpg lexer rules that was missed by
flex 2.5.4, or whether the warning is simply wrong.

If the warning is valid, you need to decide whether you like the idea of
a default spit-to-stdout action, or you'd prefer to put in an additional
flex rule to cover the missing case.