pg_dump with tables created in schemas created by extensions

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: pg_dump with tables created in schemas created by extensions
Date: 2016-08-12 21:58:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

About a month or two ago I reported a pg_dump bug regarding tables (and
other objects) created inside a schema from an extension.

Objects created by the extensions are not dumped, as they will be
created once again with the CREATE EXTENSION call, but and other objects
which might live inside an object created by the extension should be
dumped so they get created inside the same schema.

The problem showed up when dumping a DB with PgQ installed as an
extension. Check here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/d86dd685-1870-cfa0-e5e4-def1f918bec9%402ndquadrant.com

and here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/409fe594-f4cc-89f5-c0d2-0a921987a864%402ndquadrant.com

Some discussion came up on the bugs list on how to fix the issue, and
the fact the new tests were needed.

I'm attaching a patch to provide such test, which if applied now,
returns failure on a number of runs, all expected due to the bug we have
at hand.

I believe the fix will be simple after the back and forth mails with
Michael, Stephen and Tom. I will work on that later, but preferred to
have the tests the show the problem which will also make testing the fix
easier.

Thoughts?

Regards,

--
Martín Marqués http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_pg_dump_tests_for_tables_in_schemas_from_extensions.diff text/x-diff 2.2 KB