Re: LISTEN / NOTIFY performance in 8.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: Joel Stevenson <joelstevenson(at)mac(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LISTEN / NOTIFY performance in 8.3
Date: 2008-02-26 23:33:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> writes:
> I certainly hadn't expected that to be the implementation technique -
> isn't it smply that we need
> a sngle flag per worker process and can set/test-and-clear with atomic
> operations and then a
> signal to wake them up?

Hardly --- how's that going to pass a notify name? Also, a lot of
people want some payload data in a notify, not just a condition name;
any reimplementation that doesn't address that desire probably won't
get accepted.

There's lots of threads in the -hackers archives about reimplementing
listen/notify in a saner fashion. Personally I lean towards using
something much like the sinval queue.