Re: TPC-R benchmarks

From: Oleg Lebedev <oleg(dot)lebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>
To: Mary Edie Meredith <maryedie(at)osdl(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jenny Zhang <jenny(at)osdl(dot)org>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TPC-R benchmarks
Date: 2003-09-29 14:35:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

I left my TPC-R query #17 working over the weekend and it took 3988 mins
~ 10 hours to complete. And this is considering that I am using a TPC-R
database created with a scale factor of 1, which corresponds to ~1 GB of
data. I am running RedHat 8.0 on a dual 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM.

Here is an excerpt from my postgresql.conf file (the rest of the
settings are commented out):

#
# Shared Memory Size
#
shared_buffers = 16384 # 2*max_connections, min 16, typically
8KB each

#
# Non-shared Memory Sizes
#
sort_mem = 32768

#
# Optimizer Parameters
#
effective_cache_size = 32000 # typically 8KB each

Any suggestions on how to optimize these settings?

I agree with Jenny that declaring additional indexes on the TPC-R tables
may alter the validity of the benchmarks. Are there any official TPC
benchmarks submitted by PostgreSQL?

Thanks.

Oleg