Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

From: Francis K Shim <fshim(at)cawthra(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro
Date: 1999-12-14 11:20:13
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that. The book
> 'Maximum RPM' goes into detail about how dependencies are calculated,
> getting down in great detail. You didn't say whether you got the RedHat
> 5.2 or RedHat 6.1 version of the RPM's. You'd need to determine which
> glibc 2.x Caldera 2.2 uses -- IIRC, it's glibc 2.0. The kernel version
> is not as important as the glibc version, as the RPMs built against
> glibc 2.1 are almost guaranteed to not work right on a glibc 2.0 system.

Thanks for the tip on the book title "Maximum RPM". That is the third time I
have seen that title and I am assuming it must be a great resource. I will
pick up a copy.

I got "postgresql-6.4.2-6.i386.rpm", but I cannot remember if it was destined
for RH 5.2 or 6.1. My guess is that it might have been 6.1. The only reason
is because I do remember seeing both "GLIBC_2.0" and "GLIBC_2.1" being
quoted in the "unsatisfied depencies" list. My Caldera glibc version is 2.1-3,
so I am not sure that versioning is the issue, but more an issue with the way
the RPM package and database setup.

> IIRC, Caldera 2.2 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.0. RH 5.2 is kernel 2.0, glibc
> 2.0, and RH 6.1 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.1.
>
> > I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
> > not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.
>
> Hmmmm... Caldera doesn't ship libtermcap and libcrypt? Where did you
> get the missing libs -- RedHat RPMs, or Caldera RPMs? And, yes,
> chkconfig is a handy little RedHat-only program (actually was written by
> the RedHat guys!) that is used to add the initscript to the appropriate
> (for RedHat) rcX.d.

Believe it or not... neither! I know, I know... it is asking for more trouble
:-/ , but what I got was "libtermcap-2.0.8-17cl.i386.rpm" a Conectiva version
and "libcrypt1-shared-1.0-5.i386.rpm" a S.u.S.E. 5.3 modified version. I was
curious about whether "i386" packages/libraries would be compatible and
got a little carried away. By this time, I became convinced that if I wanted to
learn about the PostgreSQL database package, I will have to learn about the RPM
software package database. It won't hurt except in the time it might take.

> > Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
> > a routine that is in another shared library that does exist...
>
> The 'false' dependencies you mentioned above just bit.

Ouch! It sure did. I can run pgsql, but not pgaccess. I am hoping that shared
libraries are handled smartly by kpackage and RPM when installing, although it
did stop complaining (ie: unsatisfied dependencies) once I installed the
libcrypt package.

> > I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
> > sure how many hassles that will be.
>
> If you have a complete C and C++ development system, with perl, tcl/tk,
> X11, and the python development libraries installed (the dev libs for
> ALL of those packages, not just those packages), then you should be able
> to 'rpm --rebuild postgresql-version.src.rpm' -- there probably will be
> issues that will arise (which I will attempt to help you with).

Thanks! I look forward to trying this out! Hopefully, Caldera has a complete
set of development libraries. I installed all the packages that it had to
offer from the CD (ie: that is I selected that "all packages" option in
Caldera's own installation menu).

> Once the build is successful, look under /usr/src for a packages, or RPM
> directory. Under that directory, you should see the dirs SPECS, BUILD,
> RPMS, SRPMS, and SOURCES. Under RPMS, you will find architecture dirs
> (such as i386, alpha, i686....). Under one of those dirs will be the
> built binary RPMS.
>
> The src.rpm has been successfully rebuilt under SuSE 6.2, so it
> shouldn't be too much of a stretch to build it under Caldera.
>
> Let me know what else you find, as I don't have access to a Caldera box.

Will do! Thanks for your help and I will be in touch.

Regards,
Frank Shim
fshim(at)cawthra(dot)com