Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

From: Francis K Shim <fshim(at)cawthra(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro
Date: 1999-12-14 01:08:09
Lists: pgsql-ports
This is not a strict porting question really, but just wanted to check with
others whether there might be a better way of doing this...

I managed to get the RPM package of postgresql for RedHat installed onto
Caldera's 2.2 distro.  I had to do a few guessing to resolve some *real*
dependency problems by downloading other RPMs for missing programs and
libraries, but there were several depencies that were *misleading*.  For
example, I had the library "libc.so.6", but kpackage/rpm reported it as
missing.  What I ended up doing is just ignoring the depencies that were
*false*.  My guess is that RPMs are looking in the RPM database for specific
RPM groups for where the packages or files are reported as being installed;
hence, an RPM destined for a Redhat distro may have a different
database groupings compared to groupings for a Caldera distro.

I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.

Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
a routine that is in another shared library that does exist... and I am trying
to trace what is going on.  I thought I would take a break and ask for some
help.

I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
sure how many hassles that will be.

Any further insights?

Regards,
Frank Shim
fshim(at)cawthra(dot)com

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Francis K ShimDate: 1999-12-14 11:20:13