Re: postmaster -D PGDATA and

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster -D PGDATA and
Date: 2007-11-27 03:48:46
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> However if I try to start the engine with "/etc/init.d/postgresql start " or
> service postgresql start" I see the following error message in my PGLOG (ie
> /var/log/pgsql/pgstartup.log)

> postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
> "/qmsvol/pg_8.1.9/data/postgresql.conf": Permission denied

This being CentOS (ie RHEL), you probably have got SELinux turned on
by default.  The out-of-the-box SELinux policy forbids the postmaster
daemon from accessing portions of the filesystem other than

You can either disable SELinux or fix its policy to allow PG to access
the area where you want to put PGDATA.  I don't really recommend the
former, at least not for a system that has any exposure at all to the
open Internet.  However, I don't have a recipe for fixing the latter
in my hip pocket, either.  (Really need to go study SELinux someday.)