Re[2]: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From: laszlo_acs_at_cms08405(at)ccmailgw(dot)state(dot)il(dot)us
To: <rob(at)y2k(dot)state(dot)il(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re[2]: [INTERFACES] Access 2000
Date: 1999-08-27 17:41:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
     I happened to mention a similar occurence to our 'local' Microsoft
     (hereinafter referred to as M$) representative at a seminar yesterday
     (B.O.) and his take on the issue is not ODBC, rather the culprit is
     due to the internal rewrite that's gone into M$ Access 2000.  His
     reply went something like this:

     M$ Access 2000 is now unicode-aware and requires MDAC 2.1 or higher -
     unlike M$ Access 97, the only M$ Office product not unicoded in the 97
     release.  Because of the unicode (which is a two-byte character
     encoding scheme - see
     http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/off2000/defunicode.htm for
     a definition) implementation, older Access databases must be
     'imported' and updated - BUT this updating process does not update the
     ODBC driver to recognize the fact that the linked tables are not
     unicode-aware (i.e. a postgreSQL database) and therefore data in those
     tables can't be modified since there is no provision for this scenario
     in M$ sourcecode.

     Based on this response, I assume M$ is aware of the issue.  At least
     the rep seems to be.  It would be nice to know if there is something
     to come of this and similar issues concerning updating and moving
     forward.

     Humbly,

     Laszlo