db_restore and xml data

From: Enrico Sirola <enrico(dot)sirola(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: db_restore and xml data
Date: 2009-02-27 17:09:57
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello,
I have a pgsql database hosting xml data in xml columns. The data,
have <!DOCTYPE> declarations at the beginning, so it is saved with

XMLPARSE (DOCUMENT <text>)

when I try to restore a database from dump, pg_restore complains
because the data it tries to restore is not an xml content
(correctly), so what I usually do is to edit the postgresql.conf file,
change xmloption to 'document', reload the conf file and make
pg_restore happy.
However, the documentation (8.13.1) says

"The default is CONTENT, so all forms of XML data are allowed."

from this statement, it seems there are 'content' xmls which are not
'document' xmls and vice versa, so how do you proceed in this case? It
seems that potentially you could be unable to restore from a dump.
Thanks for your help,
Enrico

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Fernando MorenoDate: 2009-02-27 17:19:33