linux port problem

From: Philip Antoniades <philip(at)WebDesignGroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: linux port problem
Date: 1999-05-21 19:13:51
Lists: pgsql-ports

i'm trying to install the latest (6.4.2) version of postgres (downloaded today)
on my pentium II/333 running redhat 5.2. Everything compiled and installed
without error, all done per instructions, but when i try to run initdb i get:

initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source as input to create the template database.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/global1.bki.source as input to create the global classes.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pg_hba.conf.sample as the host-based authentication control file.

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=501).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

initdb: creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1

Creating global classes in /base
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1

Adding template1 database to pg_database...
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1 < /tmp/create.22478
ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
initdb: could not log template database
initdb: cleaning up.

i've tried this twice now, and gotten rid of all my older postgres files that
were installed by the redhat installation. what can i do?

thanks,

philip

webdesigngroup.com
--