Psql bug on Windows or pilot error? ;-)

From: "Schuhmacher, Bret" <Bret(dot)Schuhmacher(at)Aspect(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Psql bug on Windows or pilot error? ;-)
Date: 2005-05-18 12:58:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to restore a db I dumped on Linux to a windows box for local
development. When I run this on Linux
./psql test < dumpfile, I get prompted for a password.

On windows, the same command is shown below:
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin>psql -U postgres test <
d:\temp\testdb_05170
5
Password:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

Under Cygwin I get this:
$ ./psql -U postgres test < /cygdrive/d/temp/testdb_051705
Password:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

Under the Windows cmd shell or Cygwin's bash, I don't get the
opportunity to actually type my password - apparently the input from
stdin causes it to blow right past the passwd and it probably takes the
first few bytes of the input as my passwd, which fails, of course.

Does reloading a db under Windows work like this or am I doing something
wrong? FWIW, this is 8.0.3 I just downloaded for windows and installed.
I'm sure I'm running the right version of psql that came with it (I've
checked the path).

Thanks in advance!

Bret