Re: BUG #3315: Cannot configure XP over Static IP

From: Douglas Toltzman <doug(at)oakstreetsoftware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3315: Cannot configure XP over Static IP
Date: 2007-05-28 15:56:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I use all static IPs for my servers and most of my workstations.  I'm
virtually positive the problem is not in how the IP address is
assigned, TCP/IP sockets don't differentiate a static from dynamic IP
address.  You've probably got another network setup problem.  Have
you used Ping to determine if the machines can communicate using the
assigned addresses?  Have you checked for any Firewall blocks.  You
can use Telnet to connect to the Postgres service port as another check.

Having setup Postgres servers and clients on Windows, Mac, and Linux
without seeing any such problem, I'm virtually positive it's not a
Postgres issue.

BTW: If you need more help, please be more specific about your
setup.  You didn't even indicated if it was the client, or the server
who's configuration was changing.

On May 28, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Balachandran wrote:

> Bug reference:      3315
> Logged by:          Balachandran
> Email address:      bala(at)dotnethk(dot)org
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2
> Operating system:   Windows XP
> Details:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Cannot able to configure Postgres 8.2 version in Windows XP, over
> static ip,
> i tried the same settings in local network ips, it is working fine,
> but on
> over static ip it is not working, cannot able to connect over the
> static,
> can any one know send me the configuration details, wethere
> postgresql 8.2
> working over static ip or not.

Douglas Toltzman
doug(at)oakstreetsoftware(dot)com