Re: BUG #2570: Connection closed unexpectedly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Golub" <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2570: Connection closed unexpectedly
Date: 2006-08-10 03:50:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Pavel Golub" <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com> writes:
> 1. Connect to server.
> 2. Execute some queries, e.g. SELECT 2;
> 3. Wait for a while (to be sure I suggest 20 minutes)
> 4. Try to execute query, e.g. SELECT version()

> We got an error: "server closed the connection unexpectedly. This probably
> means the server terminates abnormaly before or while processing the
> request."

[ shrug... ]  You've got broken networking infrastructure.  Postgres
itself does not have any connection timeout.  (Some have complained
that this is a bug, but at least it lets us reject this type of
complaint as not our problem...)

If you were using 8.1 you might be able to stave off the connection
drop by reducing tcp_keepalives_idle, but I don't have any suggestions
for 8.0.