psql o and g options not working

From: robin isard <robin(dot)isard(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql o and g options not working
Date: 2009-08-09 19:52:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Whenever I try to use the \o or \g options to output a sql query to a
file, I always get a "File or directory does not exist error." The
file does exist and I've given it every permission possible, ensured
it's owned by the postgres user, and made sure it's in a directory
postgres can write to.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using postgresql 8.3.

thanks